Tuesday 21 July 2009

Boys, boys, boys

When I was massively pregnant with Darling boy, and growing at a fast rate, we moved from London to Devon and so I had to sign up with a new midwife team. I was lucky enough to be passed into the care of a wonderful miracle of a midwife who was quite frankly inspirational. Aside from her day job with the local health team, she also ran a company which ran training courses in Active Birth. I signed up and didn’t look back. I joined a group of 4 lovely ladies and over a series of weeks, Miracle midwife led us through labour and what to expect, teaching us yoga positions to help us relax and stay mobile throughout the rest of our pregnancy and into the birth itself.

I’m sure I will tell you more about Miracle midwife some time, but the long and short of it is that us 4 ladies met before our babies were due and are still friends now, well over a year later. We have stayed in touch and are good friends. We all had boys and it’s such fun to see them playing together.

We finally managed to meet up one Sunday afternoon recently and it was great to see everyone all together, baby boys and grown up boys alike. Everyone piled over to our house and so cake was called for. My gingerbread cutters, which I still hadn’t got round to using were found and gingerbread men- and ladies!- were baked, spiced and golden brown and decorated with two smarties each for buttons. One day I really want to make drag gingerbread men, all i need to do is to perfect my icing of high-heels and lipstick and I will be away!


Alongside the gingerbread men were iced double chocolate cupcakes and a new addition to my repertoire...date slices from the charming Rachel Allens cook book, ‘Bake’ I can recommend her book highly. Reliable and tempting recipes, and lovely photography. The date slices turned out very scrummy, like a flapjack meets a crumble, with a datey jam in the middle. Yum!
The men folk drank beer, us ladies had tea and the babies tried all of the cakes each, ensuring the crumbs were liberally rubbed into the carpet. I don’t mind, its a sign of a good party!

2 comments:

  1. Many, many years ago, a couple of my friends made a bunch of gingerbread men and mailed them to me. The note said, "we thought you'd enjoy a few dozen naked men for your birthday!" I thought that was great and still laugh to this day.

    ReplyDelete