Sunday 8 November 2009

whizz pop bang

Here are the baby chocolate cupcakes I made for the Firework party order- I think they turned out rather sparkly!



The old saying goes 'Every day is a school day' and this was true on Friday.  I learnt that powder food dye is not so good, it tried it's hardest, but was not vivid enough.  The cupcakes were baked, cooled and iced.  I then spent at least an hour or two fiddling around with teeny tiny stars, cutting them out and painting them individually with gold paint mixed from the powder I had bought that day.  It was gone 11pm when I gave up, they just weren't bright enough.  By this point I was seeing stars myself as we had got up that day for work at 5.30am.  If I were going for subtle, antique hints, then these stars would be just the thing- but I was after something more bling, more fireworky.


I cleaned up and headed off to bed, and just as I pulled the duvet over my tired bump, Darling boy woke up and- here the irony was not lost on me- required me to sing Twinkle, twinkle little star. Who can refuse a tousle-haired toddler clutching his teddy?  After the first verse, a tiny, sleepy voice said 'again', and after the third or fourth time through- he was back to sleep.  It seemed stars were the theme of the evening.


Darling boy then saw fit to wake up at 5am...he took some convincing to go back to sleep and although he did for a while, he then woke up again and by 6am, he had decided actually it was time to get up.  Handsome husband got up with Darling boy, and I decided since I was awake, I may as well trot downstairs and apply a second coat of gold paint to the stars.


After going back to bed for a snooze, I got up and looked at the stars again, and I still wasn't happy.  So I zoomed to the local cake supplies shop as soon as they opened to buy what I had wanted in the first place, sugar flair pastes have such a rich vivid colour.  'Autumn leaf' won the day and I zoomed back home and remade the stars.  Arranged onto the cupcakes and sprinkled with glitter, I was hoping they would fit the bill.


Bright vivid colours had been requested and when I dropped them off, my new clients seemed really happy- which makes me happy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment