Tuesday 24 November 2009

Christmas is a-coming!

It is my goal this Christmas to make Darling boy his very own stocking. I have seen some gorgeous fabric in Heathcoats and I am busy designing something lovely. This craft project was on the schedule for last year, but I just didn’t get round to it.

I hadn’t discovered Heathcoats and hadn’t had my haberdashery desire sparked by the offerings in Exeter. Also, as parents, Handsome Husband and I decided he was too tiny anyway and would be getting a mountain of toys from the rest of the family, so we would get a couple of good prezzies, and put money in his bank account instead of doing a stocking .

This year though I think Darling boy might be keen on the idea, especially if there is a train or car in the stocking. I just love the idea of Darling boy always having the same stocking each year, and for it to be home-made by his dear old mum. Christmas is all about tradition and doing the same things at the same time, it’s about comfort and familiarity, but mostly it’s about love. The great thing about starting your own family is that you get to make your own traditions and customs. You get to set ‘they way it’s always been’, to re-invent the cozy warm Christmas you had as a kid for your own bambinos.

2 comments:

  1. I agree completely with you - I bought a calendar pattern from Heathcoats for my eldest's 2nd Christmas and it was really easy and looks lovely. I made one for Jack last year. It's also nice to be able to choose little gifts to put in each pocket (and it doesn't have to be sweets) and their little faces when they open them.
    We always give them pride of place in the dining room as they're so pretty that they're part of our Christmas deccies now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for your comment clare, and I say hooray for a home-made christmas!

    ReplyDelete